Calcium carbonate & Cholecalciferol
AROCAL: Each film-coated tablet contains Calcium Carbonate 500mg and Cholecalciferol 250 IU.
Arocal contains calcium and vitamin D3 which are both essential for healthy bones and teeth. Calcium & Vitamin D3 Tablets provide extra calcium and vitamin D3 to your diet. It is therefore used in conditions where your body’s calcium and vitamin D levels need to be increased.
Calcium & Vitamin D3 Tablets IP can be prescribed by doctors for certain bone conditions like osteoporosis, rickets and other deficiency conditions.
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Adults, elderly and children over 12 years of age – Swallow 2 Tablets twice daily, ideally two Tablets in the morning and two in the evening.
Children under 12 – Do not give Calcium & Vitamin D3 Tablets to children under 12 years.
If you take more Calcium & Vitamin D3 Tablets than you should - You should only take what your doctor recommends. If you take too many tablets contact your doctor or pharmacist if you can do so. If not, go to the nearest hospital casualty department immediately, taking the pack and remaining tablets with you.
If you forget to take Calcium & Vitamin D3 Tablets - If you forget to take your tablets, take them as soon as possible and then continue to take them as normal. Do not take a double dose to make up for forgotten tablets.
If you stop taking Calcium & Vitamin D3 Tablets – Always talk to your doctor or pharmacist before you stop taking the Tablets. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Other medicines and Calcium & Vitamin D3 Tablets
Tell your doctor if you are taking calcium supplements or antacids for indigestion, digitalis drugs (e.g. Lanoxin), diuretics, or corticosteroids.
If you are taking thyroxine, bisphosphonates, iron or fluoride medicines, tetracycline or quinolone antibiotics make sure your doctor knows this. When taking these medicines leave about 4 hours before taking your Calcium & Vitamin D3 Tablets. Do not take any of these listed medicines at the same time as your Calcium & Vitamin D3 Tablets.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines.
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Frequency not known
• Allergic reactions - symptoms include itching, wheezing, rash, swelling of the tongue or throat. If you have an allergic reaction stop taking the tablets and seek medical attention immediately. Rare side effects
• Constipation, wind, feeling sick, stomach ache, diarrhoea
• Skin rash
• Hypercalcaemia (too much calcium in your blood) or hypercalciuria (too much calcium in your urine)
If you are on long term treatment your doctor may from time to time wish to check the level of calcium in your blood and take urine samples to monitor kidney function.
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Calcium & Vitamin D3 Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you:
• Have osteoporosis (thinning of the bones) due to long periods of inactivity, such as long-term bed rest.
• Have problems with your kidneys, for example, kidney stones.
• Have higher than normal levels of calcium in your urine (hypercalciuria). If you are unsure your doctor will advise you.
• Have sarcoidosis (inflammation that produces lumps of cells in various organs in the body). Your doctor will be able to tell you if you do.
• Have previously been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars.
• Are taking any other medication, even those you may have bought for yourself without prescription
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
In pregnancy or when breastfeeding, Calcium & Vitamin D3 Tablets should only be used under medical supervision. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.